Caringforyourheart.org brings together medical and Islamic advice to help you improve your lifestyle and strengthen your heart. This project is part of Maslaha's work in health.
In partnership with Birmingham East and North Primary Care Trust and Health Launchpad at the Young Foundation, we have been working closely with health practitioners, local community organisations, patients and many more to produce this unique resource with the aim of combating cardio-vascular disease (CVD).
This website offers advice on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle through exercise and diet. On this website you can also:
- Watch films in English, Punjabi and Urdu
- Find recipes for healthy meals
- Learn about useful exercises you can do at home
- Read the stories of others and share your own experience of how heart disease has affected you and those close to you
You can also find useful information about locally available exercise groups (including women-only groups), expert patient groups, cooking sessions and more.
This work is based on previous successful work in the borough of Tower Hamlets in London which has a prevalence of diabetes three times higher than average in England and Wales. Visit www.diabetesintowerhamlets.org for more information.
Maslaha is a new web-based organization which translates from Arabic as for the 'common good' and has grown out of many conversations with young Muslims, theologians and community practitioners.
Maslaha has two key aims:
- To provide practical information about Islam around everyday issues affecting Muslim communities in the UK
- To produce authoritative and creative resources with doctors, nurses, teachers, youth workers and other public service providers to help improve their services for Muslim communities in areas such as education and healthcare
Find out more about our work at www.maslaha.org